The NOLF modernization patch fixes performance issues, and attempts to adapt the original classic for larger resolutions.
- Fixes slowdown with some UI elements (such as looking down scope, or picking items up)
- HUD scaling options for most HUD elements
- Replaced mouse input code for a more responsive experience
- Optional framerate cap to 60fps
- Optional 4:3 mode for cutscenes
- New Jukebox menu in Options
- Working multiplayer out of the box
- Fixed a bug with defusing bombs and activating some switches
- Added `NoRawInput` to disable mouse raw input
- Fixed missing continue button on mission summary screen
- Improved loading screen time (...that I broke, oops!)
- Fixed some invisible impassible geometry.
- Added a experimental developer console, can be toggled on/off with tilde. (`~`)
- Fixed a crash in the weapons hotkey screen.
- Bumped version to 1.006.
- Patched out GameSpy from dedicated/hosted servers and the server browser.
- Fixed a bug in ai path finding causing values to not always be accurate.
- Fixed a silent out of range bug that could cause enemies to disappear and travel to a nearby galaxy at FTL speed!
- Made the console key rebindable. (It's at the very bottom of the custom controls list.)
- Added Big Head Mode! It's currently a little buggy, but humourous. Check the readme on how to enable it.
- Included some patched binaries to help improve compatibility.
- Added a windowed mode toggle to the display options.
- Added anisotropic filtering to advanced performance options.
- Fixed shadows disappearing between cutscenes and saved games.
- Added a "Blackscreen Fix" work around for Intel HD graphics chips in Display options.
Important Note For Intel HD Graphics Users
Please enable "Intel HD Graphics Fix" in Display options. This fixes the blackscreen while underwater bug. It also switches to an alternate rendering of screen tinting, that should fix missing screen effects.
Important Note For Non-QWERTY Keyboard Users
Unfortunately it seems Lithtech (the engine behind NOLF) has issues with non-qwerty keyboard layouts. Unfortunately I don't have access to the engine source code to fix this issue. Your best chance is to wait and hope someone finally brings NOLF out of legal limbo. (Or edit the autoexec manually! https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Operative:_No_One_Lives_Forever#Remapping )
Apologies for not being able to fix this!
If you have any problems be sure to check the readme!
Place all the files in your No One Lives Forever game directory. Then launch NOLF.exe, and click "Advanced", and then "Customize". Simply "Add" the Modernizer.rez file, and check "Always load these rez files", then click "Ok", and launch the game!
It's important that you don't run this mod with any other mods that may have modified the game code. (Re-releases should be fine.)